About Me

My photo

I've been designing and making textile figures for many years. I have also recently taken up knitting and crochet again after a lengthy break  and I'm LOVING IT!  Textile Creations UK (http://textilecreationsuk.blogspot.com ) is my new website/ Blog, which includes all my knitted, crocheted, sewn, woven textile creations.
  

Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Anemone Atargatis Mermaid Pattern



Anemone Mermaid designed by Madeleine Sara Maddocks
I was  inspired by the idea that since humans like to embellish themselves with jewellery and tattoos, this mermaid would adorn herself in  the latest sea life fashion. 
I studied pictures of fish tails and the female form to get her shape, as I imagined it should look. I never think Mermaids would feel embarrassed by their nakedness and I hope I offend no-one by thier lack of modesty! I crocheted the plankton-seaweed necklaces and was inspired to embellish them further with beads, after seeing some wonderful influences in Patti Culea’s excellent book “Creative Cloth Doll Making”. 
Anemone’s tail is made from some beautifully embroidered, pink Indian fabric, which I further embellished with ribbon, beading, embroidery, knotwork and stumpwork. The starfish and anemones are made using the needle weaving technique, whilst the coral is knot work.


I also added wadding and cord to the tail-fin and used the Trapunto quilting technique to make the veins stand out.
I used commercially mixed fibres, wools and ribbons in shades of pink for the hair of one of my pink mermaids and Yadeno mohair for the one above and painted their faces with acrylic fabric paints. The face and bust have some needle- sculpting. Arms, body and face are made from Parfait Pimatex fabric.

Atargatis Sea Goddess Mermaid 

designed by Madeleine Sara Maddocks

Sea life is so rich in vibrant colour that I wanted to reflect this in the embellishments on her tail. I used crochet, bouillon knots. knot work, stumpwork, woven picots, beading, dyeing. 



The body fabric is ethnic colour # 13 from the dollmakersjourney collection.