About Me

My photo

I've been designing and making textile figures for many years. I have also recently taken up knitting and crochet again after a lengthy break  and I'm LOVING IT!  Textile Creations UK (http://textilecreationsuk.blogspot.com ) is my new website/ Blog, which includes all my knitted, crocheted, sewn, woven textile creations.
  

Thursday, 27 September 2012

Cushionella Cloth Figure Pattern


Cushionella
It was important that the 'doll' and 'cushion' should have equal emphasis, so I gave her a bust that looked like two cushions and added gold piping cord.' Cushion doll' for me conjured up images of plump, soft, comforting, relaxing, zoftig (full-bosomed; having a full, shapely figure), flouncy billowing, puffs, folds, layers, sumptuous/opulent soft furnishing fabrics, tassel/ fringes/ piping/ bead/ ribbon embellishment. I also considered the different types and shapes of cushions and colour scheme.
I shaped the bottom of her body like a square cushion, resting on the cushion-bustle for her 'Marie Antonette' style skirt. Her arms were made to resemble combinations of round and bolster-shaped cushions, whilst her legs were made to resemble a combination of pretty, frilly square and bolster boudoir cushions. The whole effect was to look like a pile of cushions and yet look like a complete doll. I made corkscrew curls to create her hair and she is further embellished with beads, fringes and trim. The finishing touch was her rather fun Cavalier style hat made using the selvedge trim from the fabric.

Her pattern in now available to buy


Soft Sculpture Figure Artist
Madeleine Sara Maddocks