About Me

My photo

I've been designing and making textile figures for many years. I have also recently taken up knitting and crochet again after a lengthy break  and I'm LOVING IT!  Textile Creations UK (http://textilecreationsuk.blogspot.com ) is my new website/ Blog, which includes all my knitted, crocheted, sewn, woven textile creations.
  

Thursday, 27 September 2012

Gothic Sophie Cloth Figure

 designed by Madeleine Sara Maddocks 2008
Made for the CDMUK Internet group challenge I was unsure whether I should make a Romantic Goth or a Modern Goth. I knew I wanted to give her little boots and lacy black stockings, so the traditional long flowing romantic Goth dress would not show these off to best advantage.
In the end I made her face and this immediately said Modern Goth with attitude!
I added nose rings and eye brow rings with embroidery thread, painted tattoo and black, silk clothes with a spikey trim to give the idea of spider's webs.
Her hair, initially meant to be a Marabou feather  ended up as eye lash yarn.
As she won joint 1st prize I gave her a tiny 1st rosette on her left wrist.
Her pattern featured in Cloth Figure Quarterly magazine and is now available to  buy on-line.

I called her Sophie as a tribute to the young woman, Sophie Lancaster, who tragically lost her life because she dressed as a Goth. 

I also later made a Raggy Romantic Goth and a Prim Goth. I used the Barbara Willis 'Annie' pattern as a basis of the Raggy Romantic Goth.