About Me

My photo

I've been designing and making textile figures for many years. I have also recently taken up knitting and crochet again after a lengthy break  and I'm LOVING IT!  Textile Creations UK (http://textilecreationsuk.blogspot.com ) is my new website/ Blog, which includes all my knitted, crocheted, sewn, woven textile creations.
  

Wednesday, 21 August 2013

Needle Sculpted Cloth Figures

NEEDLE SCULPTURE, also known as needle modelling, involves placing stitches into the doll head and body to hold the shape of the filling material to create more sophisticated, 'sculptured' features. 

A little like quilting, the stitches provide shape and texture, holding the stuffing in position to create a raised nose and defined mouth, eye sockets, chin, belly button, ankles, dimples etc.<head sculpted on stretch fabric





Profile head sculpted on woven fabric, which has less stretch.>

by Patti Medaris Culea(left),
& Madeleine Sara Maddocks (right)








This needle modelling technique is also used in conjunction with the  cloth over technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the trouble to comment, it brightens my day.